How would you know if you were blind to your own gaps in emotional intelligence? Here are 10 signs that you might be emotionally tone deaf.
1. People avoid honestly sharing their view with you because of how you might respond.
2. People talk more about you to others than they do directly to you.
3. People don’t want to work with you or for you.
4. People see you as negative a majority of the time.
5. People often leave their time with you annoyed or depressed.
6. You are often passed over for a promotion or have trouble finding a new job.
7. You don’t smile, make eye contact, or go out of your way to make others feel welcome.
8. You seldom pursue relationships or have others into your home.
9. You have difficulty showing emotion and feel uneasy when others do.
10. You see much of the world in black and white and seldom compromise your position.
If many of these signs of an emotionally tone deaf leader seem to be true of you, it may be time to take steps to develop and grow your leadership skills. Through our coaching services, our consultants can help you examine your strengths, identify areas for growth, and create a customized coaching plan to help you reach your development goals. Contact us to learn more!
Jay Desko is the Executive Director of The Center and serves on the Senior Leadership Team at Calvary Church in Souderton, PA. Jay brings experience in the areas of ministry assessment, leadership coaching, decision-making, and strategic questioning. Jay’s degrees include a B.S. in Bible, a M.Ed in Instructional Systems Design and a Ph.D. in Organizational Behavior and Leadership.